It is with heavy heart that I post the news that Rick died earlier this afternoon at age 64 from a heart attack.
Rick’s wife Holly posted this on Facebook Thursday evening:
Hi all and thank you. Just to let you know there will be no funeral, as that was not Rick’s thing. I am hoping to put together a celebration of his life in a month or two. We are just devastated here, and I really appreciate your kind words. Will keep you posted…
I’m stunned, as I know all of his fans, friends, and family are. My heart is with Holly, Rick’s sons, and all their family and friends.
Christopher Golden posted on Facebook, “The life of a freelance writer is often full of financial struggles. The sudden death of Rick Hautala has left difficult circumstances in its wake, in more ways than one.” If you want to help Rick’s wife, Holly Newstein Hautala, Chris tells you how.
In honor of Rick Hautala we will be making his new book GLIMPSES: The Best Short Stories of Rick Hautala free in the Kindle marketplace starting [March 23]. Here’s the link: Glimpses: The Best Short Stories of Rick Hautala
Here are some fantastic online tributes to Rick and his work:
- Portland Press Herald: Rick Hautala Obituary
- Christopher Golden: Rick Hautala
- Matthew Costello: The Ghost in My House
- Stephen R. Bissette: Farewell, “Big Brother”…
- Peter Crowther: Rick Hautala
- Nick Kaufmann: Rick Hautala R.I.P.
- John McIlveen: Rick Hautala — Rest In Peace
- John Goodrich: Gone…
- James A. Moore: Rick Hautala, Rest In Peace
- Brian Keene: Rick Hautala R.I.P.
- James Robert Smith: A Friend Gone (includes BOOKSTORY, a script proposal by RH and JRS)
- Sidney Williams: RIP Rick Hautala and David and James
- The Green Hand Bookshop: RIP Rick Hautala — a lifetime is not long enough
- Derek Clendening: Left-Wing Rants, Cigars and the Macabre — My Memories of Rick Hautala
- Tina Hall: An Interview with the late Rick Hautala
- Peter Dudar: Remembering Hauty
- Dan Keohane: An Oasis of Pleasant Humor and Cigar Smoke
- Bev Vincent: Rick and AJ
- James Roy Daley: RIP: Rick Hautala. You will be missed.
- Mark Rainey
- Cryptozoonews: Rick Hautala, Mountain King Author, Dies
- The Fire Wire – R.I.P. Maine Author Rick Hautala
- Joseph Nassise: Rick Hautala RIP
- Richard Schiver: Friday’s 5 with Rick Hautala
- Dreadful Tales: In Memoriam – David B. Silva, James Herbert, and Rick Hautala
- Ty Schwamberger: RIP (In Three’s)
- New England Horror Writers: Horror Community Loses a Friend
- Sonia Fogal: A Note of Sympathy – Rick Hautala
- David Dvorkin: Rick Hautala
- SFscope: Author Rick Hautala Dies
- The Baryon Review: 1999 – An Interview with Rick Hautala
- Kevin J. Anderson: A Dark Week for Horror….
- Michael Arruda: Remebering Rick Hautala
- Horror World: Rick Hautala – RIP/How to Help Holly
- Cinema Knife Fight: Remembering Rick Hautala
- BlogTalkRadio: A Tribute to Rick Hautala by Francy and Friends
- Dale Eldon: Calling All Authors and Fans of Rick Hautala
- HorrorNovelReviews: A Quick Tribute to Rick Hautala: ‘The Wildman’ Review
- Gloucester Times: Richard A. Hautala Obituary
- FEARnet: R.I.P. to Three Giants of the Genre: Rick Hautala, David B. Silva, and James Herbert
- Horror Drive-In: The Worst Week in Horror Fiction History
- American Journal: Friends, fans mourn well-known Westbook horror author
- Tales to Terrify audio podcast: Tribute to James Herbert and Rick Hautala
- Rio Youers
- Lindsey Beth Goddard: RIP Rick Hautala